Wednesday, April 18, 2012

eating my way through easter!

The Greek Easter weekend ended three nights ago, so why does it feel like I've only just taken my last bite of the Easter feast? And why am I so full I can't even bare thinking about cracking open my first choccie bunny? 

Well, I'll let you in on an ancient Greek secret... After we rejoice in Jesus' resurrection, we eat. Then we eat some more! And some more! And just a lil' more! And... think you've had enough? Well obviously you haven't... so have some MORE!

Still don't get the message? Well it all comes down to this...

If you don't:

a. Indulge in the Saturday midnight feast
(usually consisting of the greasiest food possible to make up for 40 days of fasting!)
b. Eat chocolate for breakfast
(or like me, tsoureki and milk in bed)
c. Sample the scolding hot meat straight from the spit
(yes please!)
d. Sample the scolding hot pita straight from the oven
(sample? try being careful not to demolish the whole tray!)
e. Taste everything to make sure it's been seasoned right 
f. Stack your plate high with a bit of everything on the buffet 
(including all five tzatziki's made by five different women!)
g. Try every woman's kourabiethes, melomakarona's, koulourakia, etc.
(and secretly whisper theirs was the best!)
h. Try every woman's tsoureki
(because you wont see another crumb until next Easter!)
i. Join the folly of the egg cracking... then eat the egg!
(you have no choice in the matter!)
j. Leave and do it all again with the other side of the family
k. Return on Monday to help finish the left overs...

Then you can't call yourself a Greek!

But with all humor aside, our Easter will always be about our faith. It's also about our family and the traditions that have held fast generation after generation.

And although I'm not about to make public the special family photos taken over the last fortnight, I am happy to share a few of the photos that represent a small handful of our wonderful Easter traditions:


I hope you all spent the Easter weekend(s) doing what is meaningful to you and your loved ones. For me, even with the indigestion and weight gain, I feel blessed sharing yet another weekend with all of the people I love and cherish most.

Michelle xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment