Sunday, April 1, 2012

the 'no time for breakfast' breakfast smoothie

I've been AWOL in the blog world lately, but with good reason. January through March has been jam packed with renovations, birthdays, dinners and new baby visits. And over the next 7 weeks I have a housewarming, kitchen tea, 2 bridal showers, 3 weddings, 5 birthdays, Mother's Day, 2 new baby visits, Easter, then Greek Orthodox Easter, a few dinners and then a flight out to Bali for another special wedding! Couple that with stage 2 of the external renovations, shopping for party outfits and gifts, preparing for Easter, planning the trip to Bali and winding things up at work, and you've got yourself one stressed out, creatively challenged blogger!

So in the spirit of having no time, I'd like to share my favourite breakfast for when I have no time for breakfast (which lately, is almost every day!). It's a banana smoothie... It's my all time favourite drink and my version is super healthy too! 


I drink it while I'm putting on my make-up, running out the door, driving to work or after a long work out at the gym.

All you have to do is combine 1 cup skim milk, 1 chopped banana, 1 teaspoon each of ground flaxseed and wheat germ and 1/2 teaspoon honey (or more if you're a sweet tooth!) and blend.

That's all there is to it!

It sounds simple but it's yummy and one cup of this will keep you full for most of the morning. It's also a great way for the kids (and even the adults!) to get the health benefits of ground flaxseed and wheat germ without them knowing! 

Did you know that banana helps reduce LDL cholesterol and protect nerve cells and it's a great source of vitamins B6, C and potassium? The ground flaxseed has anti-inflammatory benefits, promotes bone health, reduces LDL cholesterol and controls blood pressure. And it's rich in omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, B1 and fibre. The wheat germ is a powerful antioxidant rich in folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins and vitamin C. It also has fibre, protein, complex carbohydrates and 10 of the 16 major and trace minerals our body needs to stay healthy. And the milk, it's got calcium, protein and vitamins A, D, E, K, B and C!

Try it today and while you're at it, make me a glass because I'm all out of time!

Michelle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment