Sunday, September 11, 2011

my first sewing project - baby minky blankets

After returning from a trip to Thailand and Singapore in June of this year, my parents proudly presented me with a sewing machine for my birthday. Now I'm not sure whether the gift was prompted by my peaking interest in ma's fabric collection or the garbage bag full of mending I left with her before I flew out (and subsequently her way of telling me to do it myself!) - either way, I was ecstatic!

And with ten of my friends expecting lil' ones over the next few months, I thought it was the perfect time to learn how to sew! But aside from a few hem alterations here and there, I haven't sewn anything substantial since I was a teenager. But of course like every other project I've tackled, I jumped in without so much as a thought about a plan! I envisaged a super soft minky blanket and a matching bib and rattle toy that I could add to the store bought component of each lil' one's gift. Impatiently, I set about cutting the fabric and venturing out on my own without a pattern, technique or an iota of common sense. 

Despite almost throwing the sewing machine out of the window on a couple of occasions and getting scolded for a few random pins that may or may not have found their way into hubby's feet, I think I've achieved what I set out to do. And while making each blanket, I've also had the opportunity to have prayer for the mum-to-be and daydream about who her lil' one would resemble. It's been a very contented first project and I can't wait to finish the last of the sets. 

So here are a few of my first attempts - and for the experienced sewers out there... be kind!

3 comments:

  1. Special thanks goes to my great friend and sewing mentor, Ashleigh Parfuss - Thanks Ash! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I just tried my hand at sewing baby minky blankets and I think they turned out great. Where did you get your adorable fabric? I want to find some more fun fabric to make a couple blankets for my new baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the arrival of your new lil' one! Bubs sure is lucky to have a mum who can make him/her a special handmade blanket! :)

      And thank you for your lovely comment! I found the fleece at Lincraft and the minky dot fabric from my subsequent post, http://inspiredbylilfeet.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/minky-love.html at Spotlight (Melbourne, Australia). The cotton backing is also from Spotlight but there is some lovely fabric on ebay too!

      Enjoy making your bubs blankets and if you want, add a link... I'd love to see it! xx

      Delete