Tuesday, October 11, 2011

homemade bath salts

 
Work for me lately has been extremely demanding and emotionally taxing. And when I'm feeling this drained and consumed, the only remedy is a hot bath. I love to light an organic soy candle, grab my iPod, add some homemade bath salts to the water and wash the day away.

In the past I would buy commercially prepared bath salts however I soon realised they included many harmful chemicals and additives - none of which actually improved the effectiveness of the salts. When I chose to move to a more organic way of living I had to look at more natural alternatives so I came up with this simple yet beautifully fragrant recipe:

4 cups of sea salt or a combination of 2 cups sea salt and 2 cups epsom salt
Your favourite essential oil

I prefer to use sea salt as opposed to regular salt as it does not contain iodine which apparently causes sensitivity in some people. Sea salt also generally has no anti-caking additives and is directly distilled from sea water. I also like to use epsom salt as it gives the body a boost of magnesium and relieves inflammation, muscle and joint pain.

Place the salts in a bowl and add several drops of your favourite essential oil. And if you have some on hand, add dried fragrant plants or flowers to match your essential oil (my favourite is lavender, chamomile or eucalyptus). Mix well and pour into an airtight container to avoid moisture. 

These bath salts are ridiculously cheap to make compared to the commercially prepared alternatives and they are a great gift to give to yourself because you deserve to relax and unwind as often as possible. Run yourself a bath, add a few spoonfuls of the salt and ENJOY!

Michelle xx

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to make some bath salts for ages-yours look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete