Wednesday, October 5, 2011

an ice-cream cake with a twist!

It's the day after George and Nick's surprise costume party and I'm up after only four hours of sleep. Why? Because it's George's actual birthday today and I've invited both of our families over for a birthday lunch. Yes, I am an absolute glutton for punishment!!

The house and garage is party ravaged and I think I forgot to undo my hairdo and remove my make-up last night because I've woken up looking like a glorified scarecrow! But the show must go on! It's surprising how much can be achieved off little sleep and a shot of adrenalin because we had the house and garage gleaming by the time everyone was due to arrive. (Me... not so gleaming, but it's George's birthday so what I look like is a little irrelevant!) 

Then I realised I had forgotten to organise another birthday cake for today! There was no time for extravagance so I had to think fast... George's favourite food is ice-cream but I couldn't pass a sundae off as a birthday cake and the traditional ice-cream cake with sprinkles has been a little over done of late. What to do? What to do?

A quick glimpse in my pantry revealed I only had the most basic of ingredients after yesterday's party so I had to think outside of the box. A little inspiration from Pinterest coupled with a few of my own ideas and here's what I came up with...


The 'cake' is a six scoop ice-cream cone made from vanilla cupcakes and butter icing. It may seem a little child-like but we're all children at heart on our birthday and you can never have enough whimsy when it comes to birthday parties!

Michelle xx
 

2 comments:

  1. OK how did you do the cone one? curious.
    love Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cone is just a waffle cone with a cup cake inserted into it to resemble the first ice-cream scoop. Easy as! xx

    ReplyDelete