Wednesday, November 9, 2011

homemade dog biscuits


I absolutely adore my mum's dog Lily - with her stumpy legs, chubby body and buck teeth, who wouldn't love her! But recently she's been sick a lot... you know, the kind of sick that comes from licking the shower base or eating Christmas tinsel or the nose off her favourite toy! So when I recently read pumpkin can help with stomach irritation in dogs, I knew I had to get onto it. But I knew from past experience Lily would turn her nose down at plain old mashed pumpkin so I added some to my homemade dog biscuits instead. Here's the recipe I used:

1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mashed pumpkin
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon apple puree 

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, then mix in the wet ingredients until well combined. Knead the dough and roll out to 1/2 cm thickness. If the dough is too wet, add more flour before attempting to roll. Cut out the biscuits using a cookie cutter and place them on a non-stick baking tray. Bake in a 175 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Simple as that!

When Lily spotted me holding something she knew it had to be for her...


And she just couldn't wait to snap the treat out of my hands...


And snap them up she did - three in a row!


These are great treats, sick or not sick, so try them for your lil' friend the next time you have left over steamed pumpkin.

Michelle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment