Tuesday, November 8, 2011

ransacking mum and dads vegetable garden

Nothing tastes or smells better that organic homegrown produce and I am fortunate enough to be given the best of the season every time I visit my parents. They live on a ten acre hobbie farm and in their free time they work tirelessly to maintain acres of vegetable garden, orchard, vineyard and olive grove - yielding beautiful, fresh organic produce all year round. 

But I dare say they are a little disappointed in my brown thumb and my ability to kill everything... even the cacti I received last year! Every time I visit, dad, eager to start me a vegetable patch of my own, questions me about the progress of the outdoor component of the renovations. Has the site been excavated yet? When are you doing the concreting, the paving, the decking? When are you doing the landscaping... you know it's too late now to plant the tomatoes! Eeeek!! I'm dreading his visit this weekend when he realises I've also killed the herbs and chilli plant mum grew from seed!

Oh well, we can't all be natural born gardeners... And if I was, who would be at my parents house every weeked ransacking their garden? No doubt their property would be overgrown without me! *haha*
  
Look what I got this week - snow peas, spinach, garlic and broad beans...


Three kinds of lettuce...


Thyme, chives and oregano...


Lemons and mandarins...


And from Ash and Mark's - a kilogram of mulberries...


And grapefruit...


I can't wait to start cooking! See you all soon...

Michelle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment